Another Trio of Smoothies

Another round of smoothies as part of this Wellness Cleanse.  I am learning that because of my sweet tooth, I like the fruit-based smoothies more than than the veggie-based ones.  However, it is still important for me to vary it up.  You'll also notice that the vessel of choice this week was jars.  I had to get them to work.




Everything but the Kitchen Sink Veggie Smoothie
4 tomatoes
1 small carrot
2 stalks celery
5 leaves romaine lettuce
1 tablespoon flax seed meal
1 small red pepper
1/3 cup basil
1 pinch salt
1/4 bulb fennel
1/2 cup jicama
2 cups water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Hot sauce to taste

Some notes:
  • Oh, well, hello salad.  This literally is drinking your salad.  But quite yummy.
  • Again, another monster smoothie.  But I think I am coming to understand that I like my smoothies a little on the thinner side, so I add more water.  You can add less, have less, and have a thicker smoothie.
  • And seriously, I don't think it matters what veggies you put in this one as long as you have tomatoes as your base.
  • Sweet business:  high in manganese, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin B6, and vitamin C, not to mention fiber.  
Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 220
Total Fat:  3.9 grams (Saturated Fat .5)
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 229 mg
Carbohydrates:  40.4 grams (Fiber 17.3)
Protein 9.5 grams
Vitamin A:  311%
Vitamin C: 315%
Calcium:  17%
Iron:  19%

Almond Banana Smoothie
2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup almond butter
1 banana, peeled
2 tablespoons flax seed
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or from a vanilla bean
greens (I used 2 leaves kale, 8 leaves romaine)

Some notes:
  • I split this one over two meals because it's a big one.
  • But look a the calcium people!
Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 671
Total Fat:  48.7 grams (Saturated Fat 4.1)
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 369 mg
Carbohydrates:  49.5 grams (Fiber 15.1)
Protein 18.4 grams
Vitamin A:  182%
Vitamin C: 95%
Calcium:  84%
Iron:  33%


Tropical Smoothie
1 cup coconut water
1 blood orange (which I peeled 1/2 of and left the peel on the other half)
3/4 cup mango
1 banana
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 stalk celery
3 leaves kale
1 cup fennel
Ice cubes

Some notes:
  • This one has a lot of sugar grams, which is troubling, but it also has a ton of fiber and vitamin C (and its calcium ain't bad either).
  • One of the tastiest smoothies I rocked this week, and I actually think it is because I used some of the orange peel.  The orange is the dominant flavor, and in a good way.
Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 428
Total Fat:  6.8 grams (Saturated Fat 1.2)
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 324 mg
Carbohydrates:  93.6 grams (Fiber 20.8)
Protein 10.3 grams
Vitamin A:  101%
Vitamin C: 310%
Calcium:  31%
Iron:  19%

Comments

By Popular Demand

Ottolenghi's Semolina, Coconut and Marmalade Cake

Ottolenghi's Lamb Shawarma

Ottolenghi's Lemon and Eggplant Risotto

Classic Frisée Salad (Salade Lyonnaise)

Ottolenghi's Salmon Steaks in Chraimeh Sauce