A Trio of Smoothies

Part of this Wellness Cleanse has inspired me to be creative with the smoothies.  I like smoothies quite a bit, and I find that you can easily toss all the goodies in the blender, pour the results into two big glasses or jars, and either drink them down right then and there or save them for lunch or a snack at work.  Plus, they are an easy way to get more vegetables (especially) and fruits into our diets, which most of us are sorely lacking.  Finally, if you know you're rushed for time in the morning (as I generally am because I always, and I mean always, underestimate the amount of time I have), you can make it the night before, throw it in a jar, and then grab it as you bolt out the door (hoping to god that you have your phone and your keys).

Here are three smoothies I had this week with all kinds of notes about them.  They are intended to be meals in and of themselves, and not just snacks (although the second one down could be just a snack...).  All servings are for one, but like I said, you can easily split all of these into two separate servings throughout the day. 


Blood Orange and Red Grape Smoothie
2 blood oranges
1 cup red grapes
1/2 banana
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 cup water
5 romaine lettuce leaves

Some notes:
  • Any oranges will do, but I love the color of blood oranges.  Plus, I thought they might be a nice complement to the red grapes.  Now some say that blood oranges have a little more vitamin C than regular oranges... and I can get behind that.
  • Do go with red grapes, as we're trying to go with all the good stuff here.
  • As for the seeds, any seed will do:  chia, flax, sesame, hemp.  Omega-3 is what we're trying to hit here.  Even The Chicago Tribune has something to say about seeds.
  • Any handful of greens will also do; I wanted something tame, as this was the first food in my system on a Thursday morning, but romaine is actually pretty darn nutritious.
Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 430
Total Fat:  11 grams (Saturated Fat 1.2)
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 12 mg
Carbohydrates:  85.2 grams (Fiber 21.5)
Protein 10.9 grams
Vitamin A:  22%
Vitamin C: 342%
Calcium:  33%
Iron:  17%




Super Green Smoothie
1¼ cups chopped kale leaves
2/3 mango, cubed
2 medium ribs celery, chopped
1 cup water
1 cup ice cubes
¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
pinch of salt

Some notes:
  • I wish I had let this stay in the blender longer.  I couldn't drink this one with a straw.  Very chewy and very green, and it really did seem like I was drinking my salad for dinner.
  • Less fiber in this smoothie than the one before, but check out the vitamin A, calcium and iron. 
  • It is very green.  
Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 161
Total Fat:  1.4 grams (Saturated Fat 0)
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 289 mg
Carbohydrates:  37.2 grams (Fiber 7.6)
Protein 5.3 grams
Vitamin A:  335%
Vitamin C: 275%
Calcium:  24%
Iron:  30%


Peanut Butter Cup
4 ice cubes
2 bananas
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon cacao powder
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 cup spinach
1 cup almond milk

Some notes:
  • Um, yummy.  However, given how sweet it is, and how much of a sweet tooth I have, I am not surprised that I found this one to be so good.  
  • While this one wins no awards for calories or for fat grams, it was brimming with protein, so it kept me full longer.  I basically counted it for breakfast and lunch.
  • However, because it has so much (naturally occurring) sugar, this one has to be a rare occasion treat. 
  • You could probably mess around with yogurts with this one if you were eating dairy.
Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 525
Total Fat:  26.3 grams (Saturated Fat 4.8)
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 371 mg
Carbohydrates:  71.6 grams (Fiber 16.2)
Protein 16.4 grams
Vitamin A: 69%
Vitamin C: 48%
Calcium:  45%
Iron:  24%

Comments

By Popular Demand

Ottolenghi's Semolina, Coconut and Marmalade Cake

Classic Frisée Salad (Salade Lyonnaise)

Ottolenghi's Lemon and Eggplant Risotto

Ottolenghi's Thai Red Lentil Soup with Aromatic Chile Oil

Whole Roasted Celery Root from NOPI