Breakfast: Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie (with quite a few adjustments, such as one fewer banana and one fewer tablespoon peanut butter, add fennel, apple, chia seeds, and kale), Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch: 3 oranges
Dinner: Paparot (Spinach and Polenta Soup)
Workout: 90 minutes yoga
- Back to work today after having last week off. My usual breakfast in the past was yogurt and granola. The smoothie is simple and really convenient.
- I am pretty sure last weeks bumps were bug bites. Phew.
Breakfast: Almond Banana Smoothie (1/2), Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch: Soba Noodles with Eggplant and Mango
Dinner: Paparot (Spinach and Polenta Soup), Mary's Gone Crackers Herb Crackers, Date-Cashew-Chocolate Balls (minus the sugar), glass of rice mik.
Workout: 75 minutes yoga, 60 minutes bootcamp
- I really liked this spinach and polenta soup; I found it super filling. However, the husband found the spinach to bother his teeth. So we found out why--click the recipe above.
- I am having a lot of cravings today (sugar, mostly, but also some meat), but mostly because I am exhausted.
- I am rediscovering making my own popcorn. Seriously, I have spent years just popping a bag of popcorn into the microwave. And let's face it, that corn is most certainly genetically modified, covered in preservatives, and loaded with salt and fat. I have been popping some corn in a big pot with olive oil and light salt. Yum.
Breakfast: Almond Banana Smoothie (1/2), apple, Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch: Paparot (Spinach and Polenta Soup), glass of rice milk
Snack: Date-Cashew-Chocolate Balls
Dinner: Fajitas (portabello mushrooms, red peppers onions in corn tortillas with salsa), glass of rice milk, Date-Cashew-Chocolate Balls
Workout: took the day off
Breakfast: Tropical Smoothie (1/2), Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch: Homemade chips and salsa, the last (!) of the Date-Cashew-Chocolate Balls
Snack: Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk, apple, goji berries
Dinner: Wild Mushroom Ragout with brown rice and wild rice.
Workout: 60 minutes bootcamp
- This week's cashew-date ball is last week's paella--it never seems to end. Finally, I ate the last one.
- I am a fan of chips and salsa; however, like microwave popcorn, tortilla chips are loaded with preservatives. So, I took last night's corn tortillas and fried some up in some sunflower oil and salt and then dipped them into some salsa. It was perfect.
- Tomorrow is Family Dinner, a monthly dinner. I know that Kathy Freston has all kinds of advice about calling ahead to say you're on a cleanse. But I find that a little, um, inconvenient. If I were a full time vegan or gluten-free eater or any of that, I would probably actually make that call, but I feel a little weird asking people to accommodate this cleanse. So I am just going to choose wisely and in moderation. And it's doubtful that there will be a hamburger option, so I am safe from yesterday's craving, which seems to have passed.
Well, we had family dinner. I definitely had to break the cleanse, so I am just going to count against the day and start the next one. I definitely felt quite full and heavy at the end of the night, but I was thoughtful about what I ate, focusing more on the olives, the stuffed mushrooms, and the leek and potato salad.
Day 12 (part 2):
Breakfast: Grapefruit and Pear Smoothie and Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch: Mushroom Ragout with brown and wild rice.
Snack: Cornichons, popcorn, date pieces
Dinner: Falafel with cucumber and tahini dressing.
Workout: 90 minutes yoga
- I don't really feel anything after having broken from the cleanse. However, last night I did feel heavier, more sluggish, but I feel fine today.
Breakfast: Smoothie (I cannot remember what kind...) and Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch: Homemade chips and salsa
Snack: dates pieces, hearts of palm
Dinner: Mushroom Ragout with brown and wild rice.
Workout: 60 minutes bootcamp
Breakfast: Another Everything But the Kitchen Sink Veggie Smoothie (beets, parsley, tomatoes, fennel, kale, cucumber, chia seeds) and Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch: Pint of blueberries and the other half of the smoothie
Snack: Pint of blackberries, popcorn (and I even busted open the vegan butter).
Dinner: Glass Noodles with Edamame
Workout: Took the night off...
- No real cravings. Things seem to be going good.
- I busted open the vegan butter to try it on the popcorn. It was better than I expected, so that's nice. However, I don't think I will be reaching for it a lot--but I think that's because I don't use a lot of butter anyway. I do wonder how well this butter bakes--could one use it in a baking recipe as a substitute for butter if you wanted a vegan baked good?
- I definitely had to break the cleanse, but overall, this was an easy week. The husband and I talk about how to continue elements of the cleanse after its over; we keep mulling over that, and I'll try to have some conclusions next week.
- Okay, it's true, I did want a hamburger, so I even looked at the Morning Star "hamburgers." Back in the day (as in for ten years) when I was a vegetarian, I used to love these things. However, this time I decided not to buy them because they contain milk, soy and egg.
- I am loving the portability of the smoothie.