Wellness Cleanse Week 2

And here's how the Wellness Cleanse is going into week two.  Overall this cleanse has been easy-peasy:

Day 8: 
Breakfast:  Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie (with quite a few adjustments, such as one fewer banana and one fewer tablespoon peanut butter, add fennel, apple, chia seeds, and kale), Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch: 3 oranges

Dinner:  Paparot (Spinach and Polenta Soup)
Workout:  90 minutes yoga
  • Back to work today after having last week off.  My usual breakfast in the past was yogurt and granola.  The smoothie is simple and really convenient. 
  • I am pretty sure last weeks bumps were bug bites.  Phew.


Day 9: 
Breakfast:  Almond Banana Smoothie (1/2), Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch: Soba Noodles with Eggplant and Mango
Snacks: popcorn
Dinner: Paparot (Spinach and Polenta Soup), Mary's Gone Crackers Herb Crackers, Date-Cashew-Chocolate Balls (minus the sugar), glass of rice mik.
Workout:  75 minutes yoga, 60 minutes bootcamp
  • I really liked this spinach and polenta soup; I found it super filling.  However, the husband found the spinach to bother his teeth.  So we found out why--click the recipe above.
  • I am having a lot of cravings today (sugar, mostly, but also some meat), but mostly because I am exhausted.
  • I am rediscovering making my own popcorn.  Seriously, I have spent years just popping a bag of popcorn into the microwave.  And let's face it, that corn is most certainly genetically modified, covered in preservatives, and loaded with salt and fat.  I have been popping some corn in a big pot with olive oil and light salt.  Yum.

Day 10: 
Breakfast:  Almond Banana Smoothie (1/2), apple, Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch:  Paparot (Spinach and Polenta Soup), glass of rice milk
Snack:  Date-Cashew-Chocolate Balls
Dinner: Fajitas (portabello mushrooms, red peppers onions in corn tortillas with salsa), glass of rice milk, Date-Cashew-Chocolate Balls
Workout:  took the day off
  • I want a hamburger.

Day 11: 
Breakfast: Tropical Smoothie (1/2), Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch:  Homemade chips and salsa, the last (!) of the Date-Cashew-Chocolate Balls
Snack:  Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk, apple, goji berries
Dinner: Wild Mushroom Ragout with brown rice and wild rice.
Workout:  60 minutes bootcamp
  • This week's cashew-date ball is last week's paella--it never seems to end.  Finally, I ate the last one.
  • I am a fan of chips and salsa; however, like microwave popcorn, tortilla chips are loaded with preservatives.  So, I took last night's corn tortillas and fried some up in some sunflower oil and salt and then dipped them into some salsa.  It was perfect.
  • Tomorrow is Family Dinner, a monthly dinner.  I know that Kathy Freston has all kinds of advice about calling ahead to say you're on a cleanse.  But I find that a little, um, inconvenient.  If I were a full time vegan or gluten-free eater or any of that, I would probably actually make that call, but I feel a little weird asking people to accommodate this cleanse.  So I am just going to choose wisely and in moderation. And it's doubtful that there will be a hamburger option, so I am safe from yesterday's craving, which seems to have passed.
Day 12: 
Well, we had family dinner.  I definitely had to break the cleanse, so I am just going to count against the day and start the next one.  I definitely felt quite full and heavy at the end of the night, but I was thoughtful about what I ate, focusing more on the olives, the stuffed mushrooms, and the leek and potato salad. 
 
Day 12 (part 2):
Breakfast: Grapefruit and Pear Smoothie and Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch:  Mushroom Ragout with brown and wild rice.
Snack:  Cornichons, popcorn, date pieces
Dinner:  Falafel with cucumber and tahini dressing.
Workout:  90 minutes yoga
  •  I don't really feel anything after having broken from the cleanse.  However, last night I did feel heavier, more sluggish, but I feel fine today.

Day 13: 
Breakfast:  Smoothie (I cannot remember what kind...) and Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch: Homemade chips and salsa
Snack:  dates pieces, hearts of palm
Dinner: Mushroom Ragout with brown and wild rice.
Workout:  60 minutes bootcamp

Day 14: 
Breakfast: Another Everything But the Kitchen Sink Veggie Smoothie (beets, parsley, tomatoes, fennel, kale, cucumber, chia seeds) and Decaffeinated Chai Tea with Almond Milk.
Lunch: Pint of blueberries and the other half of the smoothie
Snack: Pint of blackberries, popcorn (and I even busted open the vegan butter).
Dinner: Glass Noodles with Edamame
Workout:  Took the night off...
  • No real cravings.  Things seem to be going good.
  • I busted open the vegan butter to try it on the popcorn.  It was better than I expected, so that's nice.  However, I don't think I will be reaching for it a lot--but I think that's because I don't use a lot of butter anyway.  I do wonder how well this butter bakes--could one use it in a baking recipe as a substitute for butter if you wanted a vegan baked good?
Overall observations:
  • I definitely had to break the cleanse, but overall, this was an easy week. The husband and I talk about how to continue elements of the cleanse after its over; we keep mulling over that, and I'll try to have some conclusions next week.
  • Okay, it's true, I did want a hamburger, so I even looked at the Morning Star "hamburgers."  Back in the day (as in for ten years) when I was a vegetarian, I used to love these things.  However, this time I decided not to buy them because they contain milk, soy and egg.  
  • I am loving the portability of the smoothie. 

Comments

By Popular Demand

Ottolenghi's Semolina, Coconut and Marmalade Cake

Ottolenghi's Lamb Shawarma

Classic Frisée Salad (Salade Lyonnaise)

Ottolenghi's Lemon and Eggplant Risotto

Ottolenghi's Salmon Steaks in Chraimeh Sauce